The COVID-19 pandemic is spreading at a troubling rate, which has caused most families to self-quarantine and make significant sacrifices at home. Currently, the U.S estimates that over 1.1 million patients have the novel coronavirus.
Patients need to continue to self-quarantine and remain at home as much as possible, especially with the significant rise in cases. However, this can make it more difficult for patients to get traditional medical services like urgent care.
In order to promote medical access during the COVID-19 pandemic, AFC Urgent Care Tampa now provides telemedicine urgent care so patients can get treatment for a variety of urgent care services. Any seasonal illness symptoms, ranging from a sudden fever to congestion, as well as mild injuries and illnesses are treatable through a virtual telemedicine visit.
If you have any more questions about telemedicine, please keep reading through our general overview below or reach out directly at
Telemedicine and Telehealth Overview
Telemedicine and telehealth are interchangeable terms for the delivery of healthcare through virtual solutions with audio and video consultation. Telemedicine is only slightly different from the industry standard definition of telehealth, since telemedicine is designed to effectively help patients treat their symptoms at home for mild and moderate healthcare concerns. Telehealth refers to a broader scope of services provided through digital and telecommunication technologies.
However, both terms are frequently used to describe the same virtual visit capabilities at urgent care. Telemedicine and virtual provider visits allow our team to address variety of common urgent care needs including:
- Minor Rashes (e.g. Impetigo, Shingles, Ringworm)
- Newly onset cough
- Sinus Infection or Sinusitis
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Allergy Symptoms
- Bug Bites
- Poison Ivy
- Mild Sunburn
- Cold Sores
- Canker Sores
- Sore Throat
- Ear infection, earache, or swimmers ear
- Eye infection, pinkeye, sties
- Female urinary tract infections
- Head Lice
- Infected toenail or fingernail
- Prescription renewal at physician’s discretion
- Minor Burns
As you can see, there are plenty of telemedicine and telehealth urgent care options at AFC Urgent Care Tampa.
Telemedicine Benefits for Patients
A telemedicine visit allows patients to ultimately get care from the comfort and convenience of their home under normal circumstances. But the current COVID-19 pandemic is far from a normal circumstance, which is why virtual visits are more important than ever to protect our patients.
Patients can social distance themselves from one another and get care through a telehealth visit. Just book an appointment online to get safe and sanitary care from your home.Additionally, telemedicine and telehealth are covered by most major insurances. Just book an appointment through an internet-connected device to get started (cell phone required for text message confirmation)
If you believe you are having a medical emergency, such as severe chest pain, bleeding, or difficulty breathing please visit an emergency room. Additionally, we have developed a list of services not appropriate for telemedicine visits (see below):
- No narcotic or controlled substance renewal or prescription.
- No prescriptions over one month
- No Chest Pain
- No Pelvic/genital/rectal/breast exams
- No psychiatric conditions
- No emergency symptoms including: Dial 911 (chest pain, shortness of breath, allergic reaction, choking, altered of consciousness, head or neck injury
- No children under 3 years old
- No STD’s or STI’s
- No Pregnancy, birth control renewal or birth control advice
- No Workers Compensation or Occupational Health visits
- No Referrals to specialists
- No Physicals or Sport Physicals
- No Suturing, suture removal or wound care